[cairo] Installing on RHEL5 (CentOS) along with Cairo.pm

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Fri Mar 30 17:33:55 PDT 2012

Good morning,

I'm trying to install the Perl package Cairo, so that I can use
Graphics::Primitive. The system is CentOS v5, using port system
(yum) for everything except Perl.

When installing the cairo/cairo-dev package, I'm getting v1.2.4.
I'm then installing Cairo.pm from source (via cpan) and getting
errors about missing identifiers. Googling revealed that was
most likely due to current Cairo.pm looking for newer version of
libcairo (or more accurately, looking for identifiers that are
only in newer version). I removed the cairo (& related) packages
before trying to install from source.

I have tried to install cairo-1.12.0 & pixman-0.24.4 from source
tarball (not git). I didn't have any issues with pixman, but I
can't `make` cairo. The abridged log output is:

Making all in .
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/cairo-1.12.0/test'
   CC     cairo_test_suite-cairo-test-constructors.o
   CCLD   cairo-test-suite
cairo_test_suite-cairo-test-runner.o: In function `_runner_print_versions':
/usr/local/src/cairo-1.12.0/test/cairo-test-runner.c:421:
undefined reference to `pixman_version_string'
../boilerplate/.libs/libcairoboilerplate.a(cairo-boilerplate.o):
In function `_cairo_boilerplate_image_describe':
/usr/local/src/cairo-1.12.0/boilerplate/cairo-boilerplate.c:230:
undefined reference to `pixman_version_string'
/usr/local/src/cairo-1.12.0/src/.libs/libcairo.so: undefined
reference to `pixman_image_composite32'
/usr/local/src/cairo-1.12.0/src/.libs/libcairo.so: undefined
reference to `pixman_region32_equal'

I can't find anything useful from google about that 'undefined
reference' error. Ideally, I'm hoping someone can point me to
explicit instructions for installing current cairo on
CentOS/RHEL v5, either via package or source. Otherwise, do any
of you have suggestions for fixing the above compile problem?

Thanks,
Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>