[cairo] GTK+, Cairo, XLib integration for fast 2D graphics drawing

Christos Sotiriou csotiriou at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 10:45:36 PDT 2012

Hi again Chris,

I am attaching the cairo-trace file created on my Fedora 15 laptop
(different specs from the Desktop PC I mentioned in a previous email):

*X Version:*
X.Org X Server 1.10.4
Release Date: 2011-08-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: x86-16 2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64

*X Driver:* radeon
/lib/modules/2.6.40.6-0.fc15.i686/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko

*Cairo RPMs Version:
*cairo-1.10.2-3.fc15.i686
cairo-devel-1.10.2-3.fc15.i686

The trace was created as follows:
cairo-trace --profile <application_name>, whereby I loaded a simple
testcase with >100K rectangles, and zoomed in a few times.

Let me know if the trace makes sense.

Thanks for your help!

Christos.

On 19 March 2012 16:47, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:35:30 +0200, Christos Sotiriou <csotiriou at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 19 March 2012 12:51, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> > > If you can create a small benchmark for your current drawing routine,
> > > i.e. extract out your GtkWidget put it into a window and add some
> > > dummy/representation data, I am very interested in making sure that
> > > the drivers are performing as well as can be expected.
> > >

> > If I understand correctly, to analyse driver performance you either need
> > (a) trace output from the cairo-trace utility, OR (b) compilable
> benchmark
> > source-code? Is this the case?
>
> Yes. Traces are nice as they can be integrated into performance test
> harness easily. An application benchmark I'm likely to use once then
> forget about, though if it looks interesting I can convert it to a
> trace as well.
> -Chris
>
> --
> Chris Wilson, Intel Open Source Technology Centre

Christos P. Sotiriou
email: csotiriou at gmail.com
Cell: +30 697 8984 222