[cairo] RecordingSurface based patterns rasterized when painted to vector surface?

Julian Viereck julian.viereck at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 05:12:25 PDT 2012

I'm working on a new feature for Firefox. I've got a PDFSurface and create a similar surface. This gives me back a RecordingSurface. I perform some drawing operations agains the recording surface. Then, a pattern is created based on the recording surface (using |mPattern = cairo_pattern_create_for_surface(RecordingSurface)|) and the pattern is drawn to the PDFSurface (using |cairo_set_source(PDFSurfaceCairo, mPattern); cairo_paint_with_alpha(PDFSurfaceCairo, alpha);|) . The output of the recording surface appears to be rasterized in the final PDF.

Currently, I'm not 100% sure if this is the problem, but does Cairo rasterize a recording surface when used as pattern and this gets drawn to a PDFSurface?

Thanks and best regards,

Julian Viereck