[cairo] acceleration

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Oct 2 04:25:43 PDT 2012

On Tue, October 2, 2012 9:16 pm, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:35:38 +1000 (EST), "Patrick Shirkey"
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a simple test to know if cairo is using acceleration or is it
>> just a matter of running a desktop with glx?
>
> Cairo dodges the complicated question of how to setup the rendering
> pipeline leaving that to the application/toolkit. So in order for cairo
> to use GL, the application must create a set of output Windows
> compatible with GL and pass those and the context to cairo to use. The
> degree of acceleration then depends upon the quality of the driver and
> the style of rendering. In short, do not expect to switching to cairo-gl
> to be an easy task to get fast rendering.

Thanks Chris.

Is the recommended approached to use cogl directly, cairo or clutter?

FYI, I am using python3 with gtk3 and so far the only code I have been
able to make work with this combination are the clutter examples.

I have some existing opengl. I am looking at either porting it to
cogl/clutter or if there is a way to load it directly with cairo that I
have yet to come across.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd