[cairo] Cairo Fill Rule - Alternate

Adhir Garg adhir.garg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 03:57:35 PDT 2012

Hi,

This is about CAIRO fill rule.
Currently we have 2 rules for filling in cairo. From the manual
http://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-cairo-t.html#CAIRO-FILL-RULE-WINDING:CAPS
(1) CAIRO_FILL_RULE_WINDING
(2) CAIRO_FILL_RULE_EVEN_ODD
Counts the total number of intersections, without regard to the
orientation of the contour. If the total number of intersections is
odd, the point will be filled. (Since 1.0)

We don't have the way to "fill" in using the ALTERNATE rules i.e. if
we have Triangle (Polygon of length 3) inside Rectangle (Polygon of
length 4) and we want to fill in the area between Rectangle and
Triangle. From initial thoughts, EVEN_ODD was probably the same, but
it revealed (being similar to SVG) that it fills depending on the
intersections and not on the difference in sides of polygon.

Any workaround, suggestions would be useful.

Thanks in advance !!

Regards
Adhir