[cairo] Rendering SVG images

Jonas Kulla nyocurio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 04:50:28 PST 2013

2013/1/6 Håkon Skjelten <skjelten at pvv.org>

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a simple and portable way to render SVG images to
> opengl textures (in C / C++). Cairo together with librsvg seems like
> the obvious route - especially since I already depend on libxml2,
> freetype6 and zlib. Unfortunately I also port my program to Windows,
> MacOSX and in the future maybe even iOS/android. The dependency tree
> for the librsvg library seems _very_ long. Tor Lillqvist made a pretty
> good summary on this list back in 2009 [1]. Does anyone know if librsvg
> has fewer dependencies today - or if there exist other svg rendering
> libraries that have less dependencies?
>
> In the same thread as mentioned above Freddie Witherden suggested to use
> QtSVG. Seems like overkill to involve the QT library to only draw some svg
> images, but is that still the simplest route?
>
> Any help / tips are appreciated!
>

> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2009-October/018335.html
>

> Best regards,
> Håkon

Hi,

A quick ldd on my system says those dependencies are still the same.
To be honest, many of those DLLs are just part of glib (those guys like to
split their library up for better modularity I think), so they shouldn't be
too
big (if that is the problem?). AFAIK libQtSvg depends on both libQtCore
and libQtGui, which together might even turn out to be bigger than the
cairo/glib stack. I think you should be fine by just downloading the latest
stable DLL pack on each website and just redistributing that with your
application.

 - Jonas