[cairo] Code compiled under MinGW with no error ans warring does not work.

Jonas Kulla nyocurio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 07:38:53 PDT 2013

2013/7/14 Sergey K. <bottom at mail.ru>

> Dear Olaf,
> thank you for your kind response!  Yes, IMHO the problem is not in the
> SSE2 support. It must be simpler, I suppose. Because I'm not a programmer
> as it is, I'm just a physicist using a plain C and a very beginner in cairo
> and GTK. So everything indicated that I failed to find a right tutorial
> :-))). I'll return to this idea below. What is more, serious problems  (I
> still trust gcc and therefore hope so) must invoke any compiler or run-time
> error message. However in my case - and this is quite strange -  there is
> no any error or even warning from a compiler and the executable opening the
> main window only stops then in total silence too. So I have no string to
> pull in order to unravel the whole ball. Using GDB in ad-hoc manner in a
> hope to find at least something interesting is the only way to go. But it
> is a bit boring, you know :)
>
> Following this way I have found that, as expected, there is simply no
> 'draw' event. And this is turned to be normally for GTK2 as it has
> 'expose_event' only.  I found out it in [1]. In addition user *zerohour *posted in
> [1] on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:52 am: "Drawing with Cairo using GTK3 is
> significantly different than with GTK2.x. The GDK drawing API has been
> removed. So most of the tutorials on the net will not work with GTK3."
> Well, I during these days I have learned how much water has flown under the
> bridge since then. I mean many tutorials have been redrawn to date and are
> compliant now with GTK3, where the GDK drawing API is really eliminated and
> almost totally replaced with cairo API. Code from www.zetcode.com which
> was cited in the previous message is an example. I got in contact with Jan
> Bodner, the author of the code and he confirmed that it was fully rewritten
> (recently) to be compliant with GTK3. I wonder why he was rewriting instead
> of adding. Another problem that adds oil to the fire is that there are a
> lot of resources on the Internet without an explicit declaration of GTK+
> version used. Just GTK+ code with no regard to its compatibility. So it
> consumes quite long time to check if they work under GTK 2.0.  Taking into
> account these facts (significant changes in GTK and a kind of mishmash in
> the Internet tutorials) it looks that the solution of my simple problem
> will take fortune without a clever hint from experts in the field. That is
> why I'm here.
>
> Talking in get-to-the-point terms:
>
> I use the standard latest GTK+ bindings for Win32 [3]. It is of version
> 2.24.10 and depended on cairo 1.10.2.  You see, the version is too close to
> 2.22 (mentioned below as a turning point of GTK+ Drawing API)  to be
> absolutely sure, yet 'higher than' to save the hope that code with cairo
> operators (instead of their wraps like gdk_draw_line(), gdk_draw_point(),
> etc. described in [4]) will work. As I see it, 2.24 is a kind of
> [...]

Hi Sergey,

you don't have to use GDK drawing primitives under GTK2,
there are cairo compatibility functions [1] specifically for this case.

Eg., in an 'expose-event' callback for a widget you'd like to draw to,
you would call:

    cairo_t *cr = gdk_cairo_create(widget->window);
    /* ... Do your usual cairo drawing ... */
    cairo_destroy(cr);

and that's it! =)

Jonas

1. https://developer.gnome.org/gdk2/2.24/gdk2-Cairo-Interaction.html