[cairo] Pycairo recording surface

Simon Sapin simon.sapin at exyr.org
Tue Jul 23 03:57:34 PDT 2013

Le 23/07/2013 11:38, Sam Tygier a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I asked in 2011 about support for the recording surface in pycairo (so
> that I don't have to duplicate my drawing code in order to find the
> extents), and was told that it should be available soon (
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.cairo/21664 ). It looks like the
> feature it was committed
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pycairo/commit/?id=4bdcaf76248fc18253e4130fd1304b6f3b0ac3ab
> but there has not been a release since then. Is there any plan for a
> pycairo release, or has it been abandoned?

Hi Sam,

I sent patches for pycairo a few months back and haven’t gotten any
response. In the meantime, I made cairocffi which is an API-compatible
replacement for pycairo. It runs on Python 2.6+ and 3.x, installs with
pip/setuptools, and supports recording surfaces.

http://pythonhosted.org/cairocffi/
http://pythonhosted.org/cairocffi/overview.html#compatibility-with-pycairo
http://pythonhosted.org/cairocffi/api.html#recordingsurface

Using CFFI instead of a custom C extension makes it much easier to
maintain. If you need anything that’s in cairo but missing in cairocffi
just open a Github issue, it should be easy to add.

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin