[cairo] Looking for fastest GPU for Cairo ?

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 06:53:03 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:32:36PM +0100, Edward Zimmermann wrote:
> The application is to render PDFs and RTFs.
>
> Backend? Its about speed and throughput.. so.. depends I guess on the GPU and OS..
>
> One wacky idea I've also considered is rendering to SVG and then using something like NV_path_rendering to render SVG to bitmaps on  GPUs.

Wrapping NV_path_rendering is on my wishlist, slightly ahead of wrapping
d2d and both ahead of taking the best ideas for a cairo protocol.
(NV_path_rendering is a very good spec to base a path protocol on.)

Note that NV_path_rendering only deals with paths (albeit can be passed
though paths in both SVG and PS/PDF formats), you still need to
setup and manage patterns, which is where leveraging the exisiting
Cairo infrastructure will help.

My experience would favour Nvidia over AMD, and for your suggested
workload a UMA over discrete GPUs. But benchmarking is in the eye of the
beholder.
-Chris