[cairo] pycairo status?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Aug 14 10:58:15 PDT 2014

On 14-08-14 01:29 PM, Dave Curtis wrote:
> On 08/14/2014 09:26 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> On 14-08-14 12:39 AM, Dave Curtis wrote:
>>> Are they being actively maintained?
>>
>> No. :(
>
> It isn't clear to me exactly how far behind pycairo and py2cairo have fallen?

I know, for example, that the mesh gradients are not in there.  I'm guessing
that neither are cairo_device_t, recording-surface, and probably some egl stuff?

> Also, do the Python bindings need to be rev'ed for each release of cairo, or
> can libcairo move forward without disturbing the pycairo bindings?

No, the API that is there keeps working.  It's just newer API that is missing.

> And is
> there some difficult technical problem that causes the python2 bindings and
> the python3 bindings to be in separate modules instead of a single
> version-aware module?

I *think* CPython API has changed enough that one binary wouldn't do, but one
source should be possible?

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/