[cairo] cairo development snapshots

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2014 at ryandesign.com
Tue Dec 2 03:07:48 PST 2014

On Dec 1, 2014, at 5:30 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 09:24:31PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> 1.14 was largely a bugfix release with a handful of features.

>>> Haven't really given it thought.  Why do you ask?
>>
>> I'm the maintainer of cairo for the MacPorts package management system. In MacPorts we have two ports for cairo: the latest stable version, and the latest development version. If there aren't going to be any more development versions I could delete the development version port. Or I could switch to using git snapshots, as was suggested to me by another of our contributors: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40822
>
> Right now I don't think we could definitively say there wouldn't be
> development versions released, but at the same time I couldn't
> definitively promise that there will be, either.  But if we do them, I
> wouldn't imagine we'd be doing them with any high frequency.
>
> In light of that, using git snapshots is probably not a bad idea,
> depending on your users' tolerance for the occasional bugs and risk of
> interface breaks and such errors.

Were version numbers assigned during 1.13.x development / will version numbers be assigned during 1.15.x development, or should I invent my own version numbers, perhaps by using a datestamp e.g. "1.15-20141202"?

Updating our development-version port was easy when you were releasing development snapshots. If I now have to decide when to update, which commit to use and what to call that version, that's less easy.