[cairo] Cairo and ISO C++

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Sun Feb 2 14:27:33 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Jeff Muizelaar <jeff at infidigm.net> wrote:

> The work we've done on the Moz2D API may also be of some interest to you.
> It aims to be an efficient C++ wrapper around cairo, CoreGraphics, Skia and
> Direct2D. The API is not as polished as cairo but it aims to expose a
> common subset of functionality. Because of this it has been much easier to
> support different backends than it has been in cairo. You can see it here:
> http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/2d/2D.h

Some of the motivation behind Moz2D is given here:
http://robert.ocallahan.org/2011/09/graphics-api-design.html. I think
that's worth reading, not because I wrote it :-), but because it
crystallizes some lessons from using cairo in Firefox for many years.

Even given the disadvantages of cairo discussed there, it might still be
the best choice for a C++ standard library. If you want the standard
library to be convenient for building specific graphical applications, and
care less about using it to build browser-like application frameworks ---
and you don't care about squeezing out every last drop of performance ---
it's probably fine.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w