[cairo] Poppler -> Cairo (svg) no text in output
mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Sun Jan 19 15:54:41 PST 2014
Ahhh, maybe I found it. The background would be something like...
* Many PDF include embedded fonts which they are not installed into the system natively.
* Therefore, for truthful rendering onto SVG surface, searching "compatible font" from
the natiely installed font in the rendering system would not be good idea. On the other
hand, using the embedded font would be better.
* SVG has SVG font feature that SVG document could show the text by the font embedded in SVG.
* However, some web browsers (e.g. Firefox) do not support SVG font.
* As a result, the embedded font is (unfortunately) included as a collection of the reusable
graphics in SVG, and the text is shown as a serie of the graphics.
On 01/20/2014 08:41 AM, suzuki toshiya wrote:
> Which browser do you use to display SVG data?
> # I think this question could be inappropriate in
> # cairo mailing list, but please let me continue
> # the discussion in here, until I find appropriate
> # list or forum to talk about...
> On 01/20/2014 12:07 AM, Denis Kuzmenok wrote:
>> Hi there.
>> I have installed these versions:
>> Cairo 1.12.2
>> Poppler 0.24.5
>> librsvg 2.26.1
>> pdf2svg 0.2.2
>> Cairo uses Freetype and Fontconfig as font backends. I tried with different PDF files.
>> pdftotext or pdftohtml shows text from pdf file, but if running with pdf2svg - output SVG file has only text as images (no text, only images in svg output file).
>> Is that the way it should work? I thought svg should output SVG with almost the same formatting, sizes and placement?
>> Any suggestions?
More information about the cairo