[cairo] ANN: "Caskbench" performance benchmark

Petr Kobalíček kobalicek.petr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 03:59:58 PDT 2014

Hi Bryce,

I have found this suite a bit earlier than you announced it and I think
that you have done a great job! Some improvements are needed, like Chris
said, the random number generator should be improved, but I like the tool
and especially the fact it compares with Skia.

I'm currently developing a 2d vector graphics engine that is using a JIT
compiler to generate inner loops and I'm also preparing a microbenchmark
tool that will check performance of various combinations of the pipeline -
source style, blend, rasterizer, etc... I'm gonna release the library and
tooling soon, but from my early observations I can conclude that cairo
image backend is really slow compared to others, the only exception are
aligned fills, but these are fast in all the libraries available.

Cheers,
Petr