[cairo] Testsuite changes this week

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Wed Sep 17 14:06:17 PDT 2014


Am 17.09.2014 um 22:43 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 09:14:07AM +0200, Uli Schlachter wrote:
>> Something is merging font options wrongly? Why does this code work for
>> cairo-xlib? I don't know...
>> For the xlib backend: Are you running with --enable-xlib-xcb? Aka "are you
>> testing xlib at all?".
> Yes.  I've attached the script I run, that has the build options I am
> using.  Would appreciate a sanity check.

Nope, you did not.

However, I would suggest you remove --enable-xlib-xcb. There were bugs in that
glue code, but its way less code than the xlib backend itself and to me it
sounds like a better idea to include the xlib backend (in your test suite runs.
This code is actually used in production while configure warns everyone about
using xlib-xcb.

AFAIR this would also get rid of a number of test suite failures (which are
mostly due to cairo-xcb producing different output than cairo-xlib, I remember
cases where cairo-xcb matched the image result and cairo-xlib had its own
reference image. With --enable-xlib-xcb, that will count as a failure.)

>> Not much time right now (or in the near future), so can't look too closely into this
> Thanks, based on Lukas' feedback sounds like we should disable it until
> folks have time to investigate.  I'll push that change today.

Please leave behind a FIXME-comment explaing the "if 0". Thanks for doing this.

> Uli, btw, when you have a few minutes, I'd like to get your quick input
> on a few of our milestoned bugs that have patches - see:

In general these milestones were pretty much ignored. Someone decides the
release is "good enough" and does a release.

>   https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=68382

On the "have a few minutes"-front: Not much time in the next two weeks. Deadline
for my master's thesis.

Your "bug 85688" comment points at a bug that does not exit.

I am not touching bug 74779. Sorry, but that code is enough magic to scare me away.

Uhm, yeah.

> Also, in the interest of getting 1.14 done sooner rather than later, I
> flagged four bugs I think we could postpone, but would like a second
> opinion.

The "postpone" category is fine with me per the above description. 54991 can
just be removed from tracker bugs, 55836 isn't going to happen unless someone
works on it and that's nothing to be sad about.

Part 1 of 60496 sounds like "that other" bug against cairo-xcb which I don't
intend to fix any time soon, so likely a case of --enable-xlib-xcb. Part 2 can
go into the "no idea, wait for someone to figure things out, cairo-win32 is
broken anyway"-category.

Bug 62606 can be removed from trackers due to NEEDINFO.

> Oh, and did we ever get a firm decision about whether the next
> release would be numbered as 1.14.0 or 1.12.18?

Someone asked about a new release from the 1.12 branch today. That would
definitely be 1.12.18. I don't have the time yet and I'd want to double-check
that the patches in the branch are fine and that nothing useful hides in master.
I could do that in two weeks.

A new release from master should be 1.14.0. It adds new public API (surface
scaling) and the image scaling patches that are going around still scare me. I'm
scared enough not to touch this.

>> Cheers,
>> Uli
>> -- 
>> “I’m Olaf and I like warm hugs.”
>> diff --git a/src/cairo-xcb-screen.c b/src/cairo-xcb-screen.c
>> index 30295af..537e447 100644
>> --- a/src/cairo-xcb-screen.c
>> +++ b/src/cairo-xcb-screen.c
>> @@ -242,6 +242,7 @@ _cairo_xcb_screen_get (xcb_connection_t *xcb_connection,
>>      screen->connection = connection;
>>      screen->xcb_screen = xcb_screen;
>> +    screen->has_font_options = FALSE;
>>      _cairo_freelist_init (&screen->pattern_cache_entry_freelist,
>>  			  sizeof (struct pattern_cache_entry));
>> @@ -460,7 +461,7 @@ _cairo_xcb_screen_get_font_options (cairo_xcb_screen_t *screen)
>>  	_cairo_font_options_init_default (&screen->font_options);
>>  	_cairo_font_options_set_round_glyph_positions (&screen->font_options, CAIRO_ROUND_GLYPH_POS_ON);
>> -	if (! _cairo_xcb_connection_acquire (screen->connection)) {
>> +	if (0 && ! _cairo_xcb_connection_acquire (screen->connection)) {
>>  	    _cairo_xcb_init_screen_font_options (screen);
>>  	    _cairo_xcb_connection_release (screen->connection);
>>  	}

Uhm, yeah.

Good night,
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" -- A. P. J.

More information about the cairo mailing list