[cairo] Some Cairo Examples

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 12:10:47 PDT 2015

Hello Cairo Mailing List,

I've written an object oriented wrapper for cross platform graphics, and
Cairo is one of the supported backends. Other backends are Quartz2D on
Macintosh, Direct2D on Windows, and also Gdi+ for Windows.

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the results, so here
are a few links to my forums which include video captures where I've
created projects demonstrating cross platform graphics.

A nice vector animated clock video:
http://www.getlazarus.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40

A nice explanation of animating graphics with easings:
http://www.getlazarus.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39

The getting started with graphics tutorial:
http://www.getlazarus.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35

And here are some notes about my experience with each of the previously
mentioned graphics libraries.

With regards to performance, although Direct2D and Quartz2D are faster
Cairo holds to closely to their performance, while Gdi+ fails far behind.

With regards to API design, Cairo is by far much easier to understand and
work with than all other libraries. I'd say Gdi+ is a little more
difficult, but still in the realm of convenience. Direct2D is a bit of a
monster, but I'm a long time COM wrapper author so I'm able to manage with
it..

With regards to features, I think Cairo actually does a few things better.
For example transforms on a cairo surface can alter stroke styles/widths
where as the other API do not support this.

I'm just spreading a little knowledge. Take care all.