[cairo] SVG & PS/EPS surfaces

Stefan Salewski mail at ssalewski.de
Sun Aug 2 08:26:03 PDT 2015

On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 17:10 +0200, Tomas By wrote:
> Okay, but I thought Cairo was somewhat mature software, and I am just
> an
> app developer, not a Cairo debugger...
>
> I do not know what to expect - is Cairo `vector-based' only in terms
> of
> the API, not the output?
>
> What I probably should be using is the `recording' surface, but that
> is
> not included in guile-cairo.
>
> /Tomas

Cairo is generally vector based -- when you draw on PDF, SVG, PS and
similar surfaces, the result is generally vector based. For PNG surface
for example you will get pixel result, because PNG is pixel based.

In your initial post you wrote that you first draw SVG elements and then
"paint" to PS. I dont know how exactly you did that, but maybe there is
the problem. Try to use the desired surface from the beginning.

I do not think that the recording surface will help you.