[cairo] absract_surface -> cairo_surface_t* vs void*

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Fri Dec 11 09:06:05 PST 2015

Am 11.12.2015 um 13:34 schrieb Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult:
> Hi folks,
>

> I've seen many places where an (abstract) surface structure is passed
> as void* pointer, which is then directly typecaste'd to the actual
> structure.
>
> Should we change it to use cairo_surface_t* intead and then use
> container_of() for the typecast instead ?
>
> By the way: I'd also propose an additional sanity check:
>
> * put in an magic value (more precisely: an array of magics - for
>   deeper inheritance)

What deeper inheritance? Can surface inherit from each other at all?

>   into cairo_surface_t, so we can check individual
>   instances for correct class
> * add some macros for the typecasting and type check
> * make the whole thing (compile-time) optional

Don't the existing ->type and ->backend values serve this goal? I guess we could
add some macros for this, but ->backend == my_backend is quite obvious, I think.

Uli
--
"Are you preparing for another war, Plutarch?" I ask.
"Oh, not now. Now we're in that sweet period where everyone agrees that our