[cairo] Looks Like Multiple Masters Is A Dead Technology

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Fri Dec 11 14:04:19 PST 2015

<
>> While font-design tools are acquiring all
>> kinds of parametric, even scripting, capability, it seems like
>> parametric type rendering has not been very popular
>> <https://www.typotheque.com/articles/typeface_as_programme_peter_bilak>.
>
> Yes, parametric type design is not popular.  That's why we are
> building GX from workflows that font designers are already using:
> multiple compatible masters.  That's different from parametric design.

That’s the other way round from the article I quoted.

I remember TrueType GX was criticized for including full finite-state
machines in the font format for implementing variations and
context-dependent kerning and substitutions.

Whereas I gather the philosophy of OpenType was to build the smarts into
the rendering library, not the font format.

So do you feel you want to move away from that philosophy in OpenType
2.0?