[cairo] Calculating Control Points For Bsplines

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:41:04 PST 2015

You can usually avoid working with angles entirely, by using vector math.

For instance it is very common to make the handle slope for P1 be equal to
the slope between P0 and P2. This means the distance from P1 to the handle
ends is some multiple of (P2-P0), all done with xy pairs and no angles or
trig needed.

Making the two handles for a point equal-length and parallel is a
requirement if you want the second derivative of the curve to be
continuous. Though it is not clear whether this results in the most
attractive curve.