[cairo] Using Pango and TrueType Fonts

Michael Gerbracht smartmails at arcor.de
Fri Feb 27 07:30:20 PST 2015

In article <54F01CF6.2000004 at behdad.org>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>
wrote:
> Ok so you are saying that some symbol fonts, like Wingdings, don't work.
> That's rather expected.  Pango uses Unicode encoding only, so you would
> need to encode symbol characters using their Unicode numbers instead of,
> eg, "Some text".

Thanks for your answer, but I think that's not the point. "Times New Roman"
does not work either because it is a TrueType font and OpenType symbolic
fonts do work with pango. It might be true that I need to use unicode to
access all available characters in a font but I am not able to display any
character of a TrueType fonts.
Do you know whether TrueType fonts are supposed to work with pango?