[cairo] Delphi: Cairo hardware acceleration

Stefan Salewski mail at ssalewski.de
Sat Jan 3 06:18:09 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 19:49 +0100, Harald Friedrich wrote:
> How can I check, whether full hardware acceleration is taking place?

Hello,

still hoping for an answer of the experts...

But some remarks from me.

For searching the cairo mailing list you can use something

"site:lists.cairographics.org hardware acceleration" in google.

As you may know, I have used Cairo for my draft schematics editor from
Ruby -- and recently I did the latest cairo bindings for Nim language...

Support for Hardware Accelleration is generally not very good for Cairo,
as far as I know Open-GL backends exists but are not generally
recommended.

For your tests: You should avoid calling Random in your Benchmarks, it
may take an amount of time comparable to the drawing code. At least
benchmark Random alone, use table data or your own simple random proc.
Generally only factor 10 between Cairo and GL seems to be very good to
me. What is your expectation? High Cairo drawing quality with full GL
speed? I think that will be not possible. Advantages of Cairo is high
quality, high level api, and easy use of different backends, for Example
SVG and PDF exports. GL is very fast, but more low level.