[cairo] Issues using cairo for splash -- Ubuntu, virtual machine

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Fri Jun 19 12:54:32 PDT 2015

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:54:32 +0000, Elliott, Carrie Lynn wrote:

> I'm trying to use SPLASH, a smoothed particle hydrodynamics
> visualization software to create visualizations for my academic
> research in astrophysics.
>
> When I ran the configuration and looked at the output text file, I
> saw a few things that jumped out at me. Packages missing (gtk,
> librsvg, gdk, poppler-glib, etc), 'no such file/directory' errors
> (CoreGraphics.h, libiberty.h, confsdefs.h, ApplicationServices.h,
> etc), undefined references to flags like -lbfd, and so on.

I see a standard package called “splash”
<https://packages.debian.org/jessie/splash> on Debian, and therefore
presumably on Ubuntu as well. Any reason you need to build your own
version from source?

If you do need to, here’s a tip: the command

    sudo apt-get build-dep splash

will ensure that the necessary dependencies for building the standard
package are installed.