[cairo] Using Pango and TrueType Fonts

Michael Gerbracht smartmails at arcor.de
Thu Mar 5 10:48:12 PST 2015

Dear Olaf,

> > My problem is, that the resulting svg does not use the Wingdings font to
> > display the text.

> The Toy-API seems to work well enough for such simple purposes...

> Using the Windows-Download from:
> http://www.dynaset.org/dogusanh/luacairo
> (on a Win-8-VM) and a slight adaption of example #2, to an SVG-Surface:

> The following SVG-Output was produced:
> http://vbRichClient.com/Downloads/cairo_test.svg

> ... which looks quite "WingDingish" to me...

Ok, thanks, this is a good alternative. I can't remember why I startet using
pango. At least for plotting graphs it could indeed be enough to use the
cairo Toy-API. Thanks for the example!

> Aside from that, you seem to prefer the generation (and positioning)
> of different "Point-Types" in your Graphs per Font-Rendering, ...
> a better alternative would be (IMO), to write your own little LUA-
> function, to construct a regular polygon around a given center-point:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_polygon

> Using only 5 Parameters (cx, cy, rInner, rOuter, nSides) you can
> produce a lot of different "Point-Shapes" all with the same function
> (which shouldn't take much more than 15-20 lines of code - then
> generating a less voluminous SVG-output along the way as well).

Yes, this is something I have in my mind, too. It's less flexible but offers
also some advantages. I will probably implement both ways.

thanks again!
Michael