[cairo] Release 1.14.4 was not created from master branch. Is this normal?

LRN lrn1986 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:18:20 PST 2015

On 04.11.2015 3:54, qlb1234 wrote:
> I was trying to build GTK+ (which requires Cairo) since earlier this year
> and have been waiting for a Cairo release that is "newer than 2015-04-14"
> (says configure script of GTK+) and now 1.14.4 is released. But with the
> latest release of Cairo, GTK+ still complains about my Cairo build doesn't
> have the function cairo_win32_surface_create_with_format(), which is in the
> header file /src/cairo-win32.h. I went on cloned the project and found out
> that the release 1.14.4 was branch-ed off master branch back in 2014-10-14,
> when 1.14.0 was released.

It saddens me that cairo_win32_surface_create_with_format() was not
backported to the stable branch (since it is an addition and hardly changes
anything in the way cairo library behaves). In my defence, i was not aware
that something like that was maybe needed, and i didn't follow the progress
of the 1.14.x closely, because i just apply patches to my local version of
cairo anyway.

It is normal for a stable branch to be created at some point and to keep it
going for a while. 1.14.0 was such branch back in 2014, and 1.14.4 is the
continuation of that branch.

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org