[cairo] Fwd: gallium surface still maintained ?

Guillermo Rodriguez guillerodriguez.dev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 09:51:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:02:25 +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
> wrote:
>
> > I need cairo on targets w/o a usable GPU.
> > (actually, that's why I picked cairo the first place)
>
> Maybe you need something a little less ambitious and resource-intensive
> than Cairo.
>
> * For a start, take out anti-aliasing.
> * Also take out Bézier curves and clipping paths.
> * Remove transformation matrices as well.
> * Avoid fancy line styles. Some drawing operators may be OK.
> * Also, good-bye mesh patterns.
> * Finally, replace floating-point coordinates with integers. 16-bit
>   integer coordinates ought to be enough for any reasonable drawing
>   area.

I am using Cairo on embedded targets without a usable GPU, but a reasonably
powerful CPU, and actually using many of the above features in my
application, and it works just fine.

> For comparison, Macintosh Color QuickDraw was capable of drawing
> full-colour, full-screen graphics at interactive speeds on a 25MHz
> Motorola 68040 processor in 1993--within the above limitations.

So did the Commodore Amiga on a 7MHz Motorola 68000 CPU at 1987 :)

Which suggests that there should be no need to go for a "less resource
intensive" solution with today's CPUs.

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com