[cairo] openvg still used ?

Dave Yeo dave.r.yeo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 04:27:46 UTC 2016

On 08/16/16 10:25 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 11:12:56PM -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> Maybe we should move them to separate packages.
>>>

>> Git history will preserve it.
>
> Yes, that's a good point that it'll always be there for posterity via
> the git history, although obviously it won't be preserved in a way
> that's likely to be at all usable (maybe not even recoverable).  So if
> we drop OpenVG, I do think we need to think of it as a irrevocable
> deletion.

I've recovered a few projects from history, depending on the speed the
project changes, it can be simply reversing some patches and rebasing
and it at least gives a good starting point.

>> Be polite to remove with one patch and document it.
>
> Do you mean, do the entire removal by a single patch, that also adds
> documentation to e.g. the README?  Or do you just mean explain the
> rationale for the deletion in the changelog entry?

I should have said a minimum of patches as sometimes it's best to split
them up.
The changelog should be good enough documentation.

> Also, are you favoring only the OpenVG deletion or both it and the Skia
> backend?

To be honest, I don't have an opinion on actual deletion besides hating
to see deletion but realizing unmaintained code rots and should be pruned.
I use the OS/2 backend and lurk here in case a discussion such as this
comes up. It's a shame that there aren't any OpenVG or Skia people here
to put in there 2 cents
Dave