[cairo] Cairo + GTK animation - high Xorg load

David Herzfeld herzfeldd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:46:52 UTC 2016

On Oct 28 2016, at 12:33 pm, Stefan Salewski <mail at ssalewski.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-10-28 at 18:08 +0200, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> Attached is an example

> Nice. For my box, a NUC6i7KYK (Skull canyon) with integrated intel
graphics XORG load shown by top drops from initial 30% to only 6% with
your example. For a 4k display with nearly fullscreen window.

I agree. This example performs much better than my original implementation -
my numbers are approximately what Stefan's are: ~7% Xorg load even when full
screen. A significant improvement - down from 30%! Thanks for the suggestions
and examples Stefan and Uri.

Although, I guess I'm still a little confused about exactly why the Xorg load
has gone down. Isn't the same amount of data being shipped over to Xorg via
the socket? i.e., isn't cairo_paint() sending the same size surface over to
Xorg in this new version?

I would have thought that in this latest version, the load for the example
application process would have gone down (cairo has to do less drawing), but
the load for Xorg would have remained the same. Perhaps my confusion has been
that I thought the computions performed in the redraw callback would be listed
as the load for my executable not Xorg's - thus I have been hesitant to
optimize the redraws given that top reports never reports the load of my
application to be above ~10%.

Thanks again!