[cairo] New backends

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Sun Sep 18 18:42:21 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 12:22:48PM +1000, Deniz Eren wrote:
> Hi,
> What's the process of contributing new backend implementations to Cairo repository?

I'm not sure there's specifically a process exactly, but there are some
factors that would need to be taken into consideration:

a.  Does it depend on proprietary drivers or other components?

b.  Are all required dependencies maintained as stable components
    (i.e. backwards compatibility guarantees on APIs and no unversioned
    ABI breaks).

c.  How large of an audience does it serve?

d.  Will there be a sufficient number of people/companies committed to
    keep the backend code maintained for the long term?

If the backend you have in mind meets these conditions, then a good next
step might be to propose it in an RFC email addressing those points,
identifying what it'd do technically, explaining what makes it
worthwhile to include in Cairo, and how it'd be implemented.

Bryce