[cairo] AC_TRY_RUN vs crosscompile

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Fri Apr 14 05:23:15 UTC 2017

On 12.04.2017 19:14, Uli Schlachter wrote:

> Looking at the C code, there is just one "#ifdef
> IPC_RMID_DEFERRED_RELEASE" and that just does an XSync() if that feature
> is not there, so this is just a minor performance optimisation. Always
> doing that XSync() causes no problems.

As the test is likely to fail on many automated build machineries (and
indeed could give false results - the same arch doesn't necessarily
mean it will be working on the target), wouldn't it be better to have
an explicit configure flag for that ?

>> It also checks for sysv-ipc headers ... is there any chance that some
>> system could have xlib and xext, but no sysv-ipc headers at all ?
>
> I bet that someone somewhere has such a system. How well cairo works
> there is another question...

Could we dare to just remove that checks and wait until really somebody
comes around w/ a breaking system ?

OTOH, we should also think of making that an explicit build-time check,
as certain target systems (especially embedded) might not have it
enabled in the kernel (while still having the headers).

--mtx