[cairo] Windows GTK+ 2.24.10: Cairo contexts not rendering to surface

Jeffrey Sheen jeffrey.sheen00 at alumni.imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jan 22 20:24:20 UTC 2017

Dear list,

I'm trying to incorporate Cairo rendering into a cross-platform project.
Windows XP is a target platform for the project, so I am building against
the GTK+ 2.24.10 Bundle (20120208). N.B. This is a C/C++ implementation.

The problem I'm having is that no Cairo backend contexts are rendering
pixels to their surfaces.

I've tried the examples on the Zetcode guides for a PNG image surface and
GTK Window: http://zetcode.com/gfx/cairo/cairobackends/ I've also tried
substituting in a rectangle fill for the text rendering, in case fonts were
causing a complication:

cairo_set_source_rgba(cr, 0, 0, 0, 1);
cairo_rectangle(cr, 175, 20, 50, 50);
cairo_fill(cr);

This guide was used to create the Visual Studio project (VS 2015, run in a
Windows 7 environment):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15906580/how-to-configure-gtk-on-visual-studio-2010

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, as I am unsure where to start
debugging this behaviour.

Jeff.