[cairo] Color fonts

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 20:59:07 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:05 AM, Uli Schlachter <psychon at znc.in> wrote:

> On 07.07.2017 15:23, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> >> Okay... so what is the new model? What happens when I draw a color glyph
> >> with operator XOR and a red source?
> >

> > The red source is ignored for color glyphs because they are used as the
> > source.
>
> Hi again,
>
> I just came up with another question: How are overlapping glyphs handled?
>
> Let's say I have a red glyph and a blue glyph and I draw them in such a
> way that they overlap. Let's say this additionally overlaps with a
> non-colored glyph in the same position and I use a green source with 50%
> alpha (cairo_set_source_rgba(cr, 0, 1, 0, 0.5)).
>
> What's the visible result?

Here is what my implementation does: It renders the color glyphs, in order,
followed by the non-color glyphs.

In practice, I don't think the case of mixed color and non-color glyphs in
the same call will be all that common.
Most apps will explicitly set a color font just for the emoji and they
won't render regular text with an emoji font,
with the result that runs of color glyphs and non-color glyphs will
typically be in separate calls.