[cairo] OpenType font variations and cairo

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Fri Sep 15 11:55:15 UTC 2017

On 15/09/17 21:05, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Adrian Johnson
>

>     Is the text string supplied to cairo_font_options_set_variations()
>     likely to be generated by sprintf or is it always read from an external
>     source in C locale format?
>

>  You have a good point here. The string is expected to be generated
> programmatically, as in this example here:
>
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/demos/gtk-demo/font_features.c?h=wip/matthiasc/font-variations#n454

In cairo_begin_tag() where the attributes are expected to be generated
programmatically, I ignore the locale since the strings as parsed in the
same locale as the printf. That is also why I avoided commas between the
key=value so it will work with decimal commas.

> I need to fix that code up to use C locale as well.
>

>     We really need a test case for this. It is hard to review code I
>     can't test.
>

> I don't disagree. As always with testing font-related things, the
> problem is to find a suitable
> font that can be shipped with the tests...

If you don't have a redistributable font, just provide a test that can
be run manually similar to what I did in 23fd706b. Include a comment
explaining where a suitable font could be downloaded from. I used this
font for testing 0fd0fd0a.

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/adobe-variable-font-prototype/releases