[cairo] OpenType font variations and cairo

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 16:09:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:35 AM, Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Adrian Johnson
>
> Is the text string supplied to cairo_font_options_set_variations()
>> likely to be generated by sprintf or is it always read from an external
>> source in C locale format?
>>

>  You have a good point here. The string is expected to be generated
> programmatically, as in this example here:
>
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/demos/gtk-demo/font_
> features.c?h=wip/matthiasc/font-variations#n454
>
> I need to fix that code up to use C locale as well.
>

>> We really need a test case for this. It is hard to review code I can't
>> test.
>>

> I don't disagree. As always with testing font-related things, the problem
> is to find a suitable
> font that can be shipped with the tests...

We have many many fonts:

https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts-alpha/tree/master/from-pipeline/unhinted/variable-ttf

Voto is nice because it has all main three registered axes.  Our FontTools
subsetter can subset varfonts.  Here:

behdad:fonttools 0 (master)$ ./fonttools subset VotoSerifGX.ttf --text=cairo
behdad:fonttools 0 (master)$ ll VotoSerifGX.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 behdad eng   30848 Sep 15 12:08 VotoSerifGX.subset.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 behdad eng 2182012 Sep 15 12:07 VotoSerifGX.ttf

Attached.

behdad
http://behdad.org/