[cairo] OpenType font variations and cairo

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Thu Sep 28 23:53:17 UTC 2017

On 29/09/17 09:02, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com
>     I looked into it and it seems to be the same problem Matthias fixed in
>     a827d7e515c7c. I applied a similar patch to fontconfig (see attached)
>     and fc-cache and fc-query now work.
>

> Yeah, bad bad FreeType. Humm.  Not sure if I like to take that patch.  I
> prefer to bump required FreeType version to 2.8.1.  Suggest we do the
> same to cairo and clean up all old #ifdef's.

I don't think we should bump the FT requirement to 2.8.1 until that
version or later is widely available in distros. Otherwise it creates an
extra burden for anyone who wants to build cairo and doesn't need to use
variable fonts.

I suggest we disable variations internally in cairo for FT < 2.8.1 and
print a warning during configure that font variations needs FT >= 2.8.1

I do agree we could move the FT minimum to something more recent and
drop all the old FT #ifdefs.