[cairo] OpenType font variations and cairo

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Fri Sep 29 01:00:04 UTC 2017

On 29/09/17 09:28, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com
> <mailto:ajohnson at redneon.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 29/09/17 09:02, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>     > On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com <mailto:ajohnson at redneon.com>
>     >     I looked into it and it seems to be the same problem Matthias fixed in
>     >     a827d7e515c7c. I applied a similar patch to fontconfig (see attached)
>     >     and fc-cache and fc-query now work.
>     >
>     > Yeah, bad bad FreeType. Humm.  Not sure if I like to take that patch.  I
>     > prefer to bump required FreeType version to 2.8.1.  Suggest we do the
>     > same to cairo and clean up all old #ifdef's.
>
>     I don't think we should bump the FT requirement to 2.8.1 until that
>     version or later is widely available in distros. Otherwise it creates an
>     extra burden for anyone who wants to build cairo and doesn't need to use
>     variable fonts.
>

> Yeah, but who builds cairo manually anyway...
>

>     I suggest we disable variations internally in cairo for FT < 2.8.1 and
>     print a warning during configure that font variations needs FT >= 2.8.1
>
>     I do agree we could move the FT minimum to something more recent and
>     drop all the old FT #ifdefs.
>

> Sure, if that's what you prefer.  Give me a minimum version and I'll do
> the patch.  That said, I just bumped fontconfig requirement to 2.8.1.
> So distros, etc, will have to carry forward (which is good).

I'd go with 2.6.0 released in Jun 2015. From the FT 2.6.0 CHANGELOG entry:

    - Function `FT_Bitmap_New'  has been renamed  to `FT_Bitmap_Init',
      since  this name  better reflects  its  function.   For backward
      compatibility, the old function name is still available.

    - Function   `FT_Get_X11_Font_Format'   has    been   renamed   to
      `FT_Get_Font_Format',  since  this   name  better  reflects  its
      function.  For backward compatibility,  the old function name is
      still available.

      Additionally, the header  file macro for this  function has been
      renamed to  `FT_FONT_FORMATS_H' (the old name  `FT_XFREE86_H' is
      retained for backward compatibility).

Then you can update all of these as well as dropping the old #ifdefs.