[cairo] Cairo release schedule and strategy

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:16:14 UTC 2018

On 04/19/2018 01:56 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 12:26:14PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I am trying to determine the stable release strategy for cairo and cairomm.
>>
>>  From the web site, current versions are cairo 1.14.12 and (apparently)
>> cairomm-1.15.5.
>>
>> However there also seems to be a cairo-1.15.12.
>>
>> It appears that the strategy is for development versions to use odd minor
>> versions and stable versions to use even minor versions.  Is this correct?
>> If so there seems to be a contradiction between cairo and cairomm.
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Yes, that's correct.  The scheme Cairo has used is documented here:
>
>    https://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-Version-Information.html
>
> There's also some procedural docs on how releases are done in the
> RELEASING file.

Thank you.  That is helpful.  I had not picked up on the even/odd micro
versions.

> I haven't been involved in cairomm releases; they may well be using a
> different release versioning strategy.

That seems odd since the cairo and cairomm releases are both in the same
directory: https://www.cairographics.org/releases/

>> It would also be useful to know if there is a schedule for stable releases.
>> If so, can you share it on the web site (or point me to where it is)?
>
> There is no formally published schedule.

OK, thanks.  We do have a minor problem.  We like to use stable
releases.  Right now librsvg has released a 'stable' release that
requires a cairo 'development' release (1.15.4).  I know that's not your
problem, but we have decided to wait for cairo-1.16 and are wondering
when to expect it.

   -- Bruce