[cairo] Rotations with Quaternions

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 20:33:55 UTC 2018

I had some nice images that made the message too big, but actually arrived
at some conclusions that don't use the images anyway. Basically my thoughts
on this:

1. Although only a 3x3 matrix is needed to specify an perspective
transform, if you want to use 3D rotations you need to use 4x4 matrix. This
is because the result of a rotation depends on the position of the camera
from the rotation origin and also the projection (ie fov) being used, and
describing that requires more than 9 numbers. I feel supporting 4x4 matrix
is not a good idea and thus supporting 3D rotations is not a good idea.

2. It looks like perspective could be supported by premultiplying by the
matrix [[1 0 0] [0 1 0] [px py 1]] (in row-major order such that
cairo_matrix_t is [[xx xy x0] [yx yy y0] [0 0 1]]. px is 1/x where x is the
location of the vanishing point on the x axis, and py is 1/y for the y
axis. I think Cairo needs to track the w and not normalize after each
matrix multiply.

3. It may be useless to specify z in 3D transforms. At first I thought it
was completely useless, but it does appear that multiplying the matrix by
[x y z] produces movement that looks perpendicular to the xy plane where
z=1 is the plane, while z=0 is the distance the camera is from the plane.

4. Perspective produces all kinds of questions about font and line width.
IMHO it should *not* be applied to these, as the result is the same as what
could be achieved by drawing a surface and the projecting that. Also it
would break every stroke and font optimization.

5. I then concluded that a far more useful api is that perspective *only*
changes the mapping of source images and has no effect on anything else.
This limits it to what I think is the only useful part of 3D transforms. A
proposed method that would be useful to a lot of software is to allow four
(I incorrectly said 3) xy->uv pairs to be specified. These say that the
position uv in the source lands at xy in the CTM. This would allow a client
to do it's own 3d transforms and then correctly texture-map a quad by
setting the uv of the corners. You could also do three xy->uvw mappings
which would allow a client to texture-map a triangle.