[cairo] What do we think about vkvg ?

Stefan Salewski mail at ssalewski.de
Mon Jul 2 11:01:02 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-07-01 at 17:16 +0000, Bruyère Jean-Philippe wrote:
> Intel is quiet a big company, alone I would hardly suffer
> comparison.
> Any help is welcome.

Have you done some basic performance tests yet?

For fastuidraw it was reported that it can be 9 times faster than
cairo, but I am not sure if that is the average case.

I would be very interested in faster simple (lines) drawing for
gtk/gnome widgets, i.e. like GTK DrawingArea.

Currently CPU load is high and speed not that great, as proved by

https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2016-October/027791.html

So creating CAD applications with cairo is demanding, I tried one
myself some years ago:

http://ssalewski.de/PetEd.html.en

For that application Ruby language was the bottle neck, now I am
considering porting it to a very fast compiled language like Nim, so
cairo will become the bottle neck. I think it will be fast enough, but
one has to restrict drawing operations to what is really necessary
using RTrees and bounding boxes. Doing always a complete redraw would
be much easier of course, I think CAD tools using GL directly are doing
 complete redraws.