[cairo] Postscript fonts

David Goldenberg goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Wed May 2 00:25:42 UTC 2018

Hi,
   I am just starting to use Cairo, via pycairo, for a relatively simple project to draw diagrams to be output as postscript files.  I think that I haver worked out most of the basics, but the next step is add some labels, preferably using PostScript fonts.  On https://www.cairographics.org/documentation/using_the_postscript_surface/, I found the following statement:

> The PostScript surface natively supports Type 1 and TrueType fonts. All other fonts types (including OpenType/PS) are converted to Type 1.
>
> Fonts are always subsetted and embedded.

But, I have not been able to find any clues on the web about how to use PostScript fonts on the PSSurface. Is there a relatively simple way to do this?  From what I have gathered, the options for using fonts are to either use the “toy API” or delve more deeply into font specifications than I really want to.  Does using PostScript fonts require the latter approach?

For my application, I could get by with the toy API fonts, but even learning about these seems difficult.  Is there a place where the font names are listed and the fonts illustrated?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

--
Department of Biology