[cairo] Cairo and Wayland

Simon Elliott simon at ctsn.co.uk
Tue Jun 25 11:16:35 UTC 2019

I want to use Cairo with Wayland on an embedded system.

I found this tutorial: https://jan.newmarch.name/Wayland/Cairo/
and this article from the mailing list archive:
https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2017-June/028168.html

both of which suggested I needed to use wl_egl_window -> EGLSurface ->
cairo_surface_t

So I started to write some sample code on Ubuntu 18.04 to try this out,
and found that Cairo GL/EGL support is disabled. This report is back
from 2014 but it seems that support is still not enabled.

This leaves me with a few questions:

Q1: is wl_egl_window -> EGLSurface -> cairo_surface_t still considered
the right way to use Cairo with Wayland? Or is there a better way?

Q2: is the Cairo GL/EGL backend still experimental?

Thanks!