[cairo] Problems to compile cairo with pango support

Ken Guerin ken.guerin at kenware.com
Fri Oct 9 17:09:46 UTC 2020

Hello.

My recent struggles with Cairo, Pango and pkg-config may help.

I write code for both OSX and Linux. I use Homebrew to install 3rd party
libraries on OSX and apt on Pop_OS/Ubuntu.

I had some initial issues with libturbojpeg on OSX and this led me to
start adding paths to my PKG_CONFIG_PATH in order to find missing .pc
files.  However, this workaround was unnecessary; an invalid package
install usually leads to these sorts of errors.

In my OSX environment using Homebrew, which was also used to install
pkgconfig, all .pc files should be in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. However,
Homebrew installs most packages in /usr/local/Cellar.  The .pc files in
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig are symbolic links back into
../../Cellar/<package>/...  For my libturbojpeg install, the symbolic
link was not generated for some reason and I could not build with this
library until I created the symlink by hand.

When I ported my environment into Linux, TurboJPEG still wouldn't build,
but the problem was between the chair and the keyboard: libjpeg-turbo is
not libturbojpeg.  One was pre-installed and one was not.  Once I
installed libturbojpeg on my Linux system, I was good to go.

I bring this up b/c I am writing "functional" C bindings into both Cairo
and Pango for some Ruby-based graphics tools/scripts that I'm writing.
When I upgraded my OSX laptop to Catalina, the Ruby Pango gem stopped
working and all of my tools/scripts stopped working due to a Pango gem
load failure.  (Something about relative paths not being allowed during
dlopen.)  After months of trying to figure this out on my own, I decided
to forego my reliance on 7+ Ruby gem API bindings and write my own
functional C-language bindings, using only those features of the
underlying libraries that I need.

To see the default search path(s) used by pkg-config, use the following
command:
 > pkg-config --variable pc_path pkg-config

I hope this helps.  Avoid modifying PKG_CONFIG_PATHS in your environment
and try to find where the .pc files are in your installs and make sure
that they were either installed or symlink'd in the appropriate places.

Best regards,
Ken Guerin