[cairo] Release management for Cairo

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:53:04 UTC 2021

Hi;

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 at 23:56, Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> As an OS/2 user, it would be a shame to see the os2surface dropped,
> though I do notice that currently "yum info cairo" reports that it is
> version 1.12.18 that ships with current OS/2.

Just for context: Cairo 1.12.18 was released in 2012.

> It is understandable about the maintenance burden, and currently we
> don't have meson support and meson seems pretty rigid so adding support
> would be non-trivial from a quick look, especially as OS/2 (actually
> ArcOS, www.arcanoae.com) currently only ships Python2.

Yes, the dependency on Meson alone would require depending on Python3,
which is why the OS/2 (and BeOS) support is unconditionally disabled in the
Meson build.

I do think that even after backporting any relevant fixes to the 1.16
> branch, it should be left open for other fixes. I maintain a few parts
> of OS/2 such as the screensaver which uses Cairo for some modules and
> have patches that should be applied. I haven't posted them due to the
> lack of maintainer-ship amongst other reasons.

Keeping 1.16 open for long-term, niche platform fixes is perfectly fine.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io