[cairo] Release management for Cairo

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 19:17:48 UTC 2021

If somebody really wants to get in there and get development started on
this again, that would be great! Maybe Cairo can be saved. There was hope
once upon a time that all the toolkits would use Cairo for drawing. Instead
all the toolkits are writing their own rendering code, a redundant waste of
resources. Imagine if all that work had gone into Cairo!

The xlib backend is partially implemented by pixman and that has been a
problem as there is even less maintenance of that. If I understand
correctly, pixman is supposed to be in the X server, but such remote
rendering is used very little, or none, by Cairo (the xlib backend triggers
a switch to local rendering in many cases, and Wayland does not support
remote rendering at all). It is obvious the X server is not passing
everything through unchanged to pixman, making the idea that local and
remote rendering can share code by reusing the pixman api not work in
practice. I think it would be a good idea to dump pixman (and remote xlib
rendering), moving the code to Cairo xlib backend and (hopefully) cleaning
it up.