[cairo] Release management for Cairo

LRN lrn1986 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 07:15:58 UTC 2021

On 26.04.2021 23:28, Heiko Lewin wrote:

>>> It's not that I would find the proposal indiscussable ( I have no real
>>> interest in those backends - why not drop PS, Xlib, Win32 and Tee as
>>> well? ), but I do not see a strong reason to do so. Most of the
>>> removal-candidates on your list are listed as experimantal/incomplete.
>>> That's it: if someone has interest in working on those, they are welcome.
>>> Lack of active development, however, cannot be criterion for removal:
You
>>> would have to throw away far more than those...
>>
>> Why? And, also: why would it be a problem to throw away more code?
>
> Because all cairo is, is an old library whose API was stable for years and
> whose only purpose nowadays is not to break existing, lazily maintained

> applications... That is how it is used. For example, you wouldn't expect cairo
> to remove or refactor it's API and breaking dependent applications. As the
> feature set is more or less frozen in this way (GTK wouldn't use cairo anymore
> if that wasn't the case. You already pointed that out indirectly.), there is no
> point in making new features easier to implement.

That seems like a job for cairo-2.0. That is to say, a new version of cairo
that is not necessarily compatible with cairo-1.0 (names are arbitrary; i
know
that cairo isn't even 1.0 yet). At least, that's how other projects do this
sometimes.

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org