[cairo] Lilypond uses Cairo

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 18 23:32:16 UTC 2021

On Thu, Aug 19 2021, Knut Petersen wrote:
> Hello all!

Hi, Knut!

> As of today, a Cairo-based backend has been added to Lilypond master
> with commit fac01f5811.

Thanks for sharing this news! This is very exciting. I've been a
lilypond user for quite some time, (so, thanks to you and all other
contributors for this great software). It's nice to see it adopting
cairo, and I hope it will be beneficial.

[Snipped details of comparison of cairo-based and traditional lilypond
backend for SVG and PDF output.]

That all sounds about right. Cairo improved some things, but is also
missing some things before its output could be strictly better than the
traditional code.

Obviously, we'll be happy to hear about suggestions or code
contributions to improve cairo to the point where it could become the
default backend for lilypond SVG and PDF export.

> Thanks to all who contributed to this great library!

You're welcome. I hope you're having lots of fun with it!