[cairo] cairo-user-fonts in hb-view

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Feb 9 00:08:54 UTC 2022

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 7:57 PM Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04 2022, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > Hey all,
>
> Hi, Behdad!

Hi Carl!

Good to hear from you!

> > Just wanted to say after over 14 years of designing the
> > cairo-user-font
>
> Welcome back. It's crazy to realize how much time has passed.

Indeed. It's as if it was yesterday that I was sitting next to you in
Vilanova i la Geltrú, making, humm, the 1.2 release in 2006?

> >   https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/pull/3411#issuecomment-1030261559
>
> Lovely, lovely!

Have made a lot of progress since, including color-fonts using
user-fonts... but:

> > Anyway, I just wanted to say kudos to whoever has been taking care of
> cairo
> > recently. A release would also help getting this released and used on the
> > harfbuzz side.
>
> I don't know who has been doing releases lately. If nobody, perhaps we
> can fix that.

The color-in-user-fonts are hitting some bad bugs in cairo, I need some
help from Adrian fixing those before we want that code in a release.

Adrian, if you grab the 'draw' branch of HarfBuzz, the command-lines to
reproduce are all in that issue. Basically, from what I've understood so
far, when a render_color_glyph callback returns NOT_IMPLEMENTED, things can
go really weird, including glyphs going missing. There's also leaks that
valgrind is showing me... I also am hitting assertion failures, etc, all
over the place :(.  I'll try to debug, but it's been over ten years since I
understood the composer soup in cairo.

Cheers,