[cairo] Is Cairo Library an X Window Component or not?

Виктор Михайлов vm3117654 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 19:11:45 UTC 2023

OK! I see X Server has no full-fledged antialiasing. Some antialiasing
features are present in X, still they are implemented in a fragmentary
way and they are inconvenient to use. Then it's obvious that no
subpixel rendering is implemented in the X Server, thisn technology is
too refined for it.

My next question - is there a subpixel rendering in Cairo, implemented
in high quality? Does the programmer need to take some action to turn
this subpixel rendering on or is it turned on by default?

I know, subpixel rendering for a long time was a patent protected
technology, Microsoft, Apple and Google had the right to use it, but
the vast majority of minor players on the market, including Open
Source software developers were prohibited from implementing this
approach. But as far as I know this patent expired several years ago,
and now anybody can implement algorithms that underlie subpixel
rendering.

So my question. Is subpixel rendering implemented in Cairo to the full
extent and in decent quality or not?

Victor.