[cairo] Re: Making Cairo friendlier for embedded use

Damian Dixon Damian.Dixon at tenet.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 05:28:37 PST 2006

No FPU or very limited with CPU clock speeds starting at 350MHz.

OS's include VxWorks 5.4, 5.5 & 6, as well as Linux and M$.

We also provide support for M$ Windows (Desktop, Server and Embedded).

Smallest memory target is 32MB with OS and Graphics taking up 12MB of
the available memory.

> > We only use GTK+ for raster drawing rather then anything else so I
am
> > not concerned too much with GTK+ using floating point arithmetic
(via
> > Cario).
> >
> > Currently Cario does not give us the performance we require, though
> > continue to lurk as the glitz backend is of interest to us as we
> > currently mix X11/Win32 and OpenGL/DirectX and Cario would
potentially
> > allow us to reduce the complexity.
> >
> So your embedded targets do have hardware OpenGL/DirectX support?

Normally our embedded targets have OpenGL/X11 (we have used Microwindows
for a trade show demo).

At present we use X11 & GDI for 2D drawing and OpenGL for 3D drawing. We
drape the 2D drawing over the 3D.

You can not mix X11/GDI calls with OpenGL which is a big performance
hit. You can mix GDI/GDI+ and DirectX calls.

To make porting easier we abstract the calls to the graphics library
using C++ templates. We do all our own transformations of drawing points
because our coordinate range is greater then either X11 or M$ can
handle.

With M$ Vista crippling OpenGL we have had to look at DirectX/GDI+ to
support our customers rather then offering just OpenGL. However given
our time frame the situation may change (probably not do anything for a
year or two).

Ideally we would like to just deal with OpenGL for 3D and 2D drawing. If
there is a cross platform 2D graphics library with supports OpenGL and
DirectX (or GDI+) then life becomes a lot easier for us (render to
textue/fbo).

We don't require anything too fancy, we provide libraries for displaying
maps in realtime or near-realtime in both 2D and 3D. We do sometimes use
alpha blending but if it's missing it's not a problem. We do need to
support fast raster drawing.