[Cairo] Removing X Dependency

Brian Victor bhv1 at psu.edu
Tue Aug 12 18:25:05 PDT 2003

In my quest to find an SVG renderer that I could use with wxWindows, I
came across libxsvg and cairo.  It looks as though rendering to cairo's
in-memory buffer is exactly what I need; wx can accept a char array of
RGB data.

In order to make this cross-platform, though, I need to eliminate the
dependency on X.  Would patches towards this goal be accepted?  Would
the preferred means be to #ifdef USE_X or something to that effect
around X code?

As far as I can tell from digging around, the font functions rely
heavily on X, but the only other places it's used is in the drawable
structure and converting between fixed and doubles.  I naively presume
the conversion functions could be rewritten.  Am I correct about the
scope of the task?

On an unrelated note, my compile was failing until I installed the
libxrender-dev package on debian.  Perhaps configure should be checking
for this?

--
Brian